Thursday, January 1, 2009

More than a New Year's Resolution

Sorry to sound like everyone else but it's inevitable--I can't believe another year has come and gone. One of my (many) resolutions is to do the blog thing. So here it is and I'm wondering, what the hell do people want to read that they don't already. I don't think I can answer that so I guess we'll just jump on the spinning wheel and see where we land.

Much happened in 2008 but the most monumental for me was losing my Dad. He died on November 7th and it's hard to believe it has only been eight weeks since that day. In reality, my life is not much different. Our two girls keep a 24-hour clock so each day the same (albeit usually joyous) cycle repeats itself. Thankfully, I am not stuck in the house my parents shared for more than 40 years, however, my Mom is. It won't be long though before she is packed up and moved into a small condo and the only house I've ever known will belong to someone else. I can't help but wonder how many times I will pull into the driveway on my way to see Mom only to realize that she lives somewhere else now. I wonder how many of my siblings will do the same thing. Hopefully the new owner will change the locks just in case I really space out and go that extra step to put my key in the lock.

2009 will be just as monumental because my husband and I have decided to move the family to Colorado. We have wanted to do this for some time but a few factors kept the plan on hold. The main one being my Dad's health. I must admit that I have pangs of guilt because he has been in the ground less than two months and we are packing up and heading west. I can't say that he would have wanted us to go but he would definitely want me to be happy. We long for more sunshine and snow, more walking and biking, more health and happiness and this is the way we think we can get that. I think it's going to work.

It's going to be a crazy ride but one worth taking. Want to come along?

6 comments:

Raining Crafts & Dogs said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Kurt told us about Colorado the other night - wow, what a move! Sounds like an adventure for sure. We'll miss you tons, but the blog will help keep us up to date and you guys and the girls! Much luck and happy new year!

Nicole Jackson said...

Congratulations, Cathy! Both on the blog and on the move. (Where are you moving in CO?) We've thought about going back, too, but it's hard to know how it's all going to play out. We'll have to move vicariously through you . . .

Your girls are gorgeous, and I can't wait to read more posts. Best wishes for 2009!

Nicole

matt said...

umm. . .yes. We would like to come along.

You are inspring Kelly and I to follow the path back from KY to CO. Just got to finish this dern dissertation first. .. . so we may be a couple years behind you.

Amy B said...

Congratulations on your decision to head west! We too want to head out that way (to Oregon, where I am from) but it will probably take us a couple of years before we are able.

We will miss you at book club, though!! :(

PBSmith said...

Go Cat! Congratulations on the blog, and Happy New Year!
Yes, a move helps clear the mind, and the closets. I think a move forces you to pick up only what you can carry...and leave the proverbial baggage behind. Only when you loose a parent do you really become an adult. Its a good time to get clear about what is important and create a life truely of your own making.

Heidi said...

Cathy, I am so sorry to hear that your dad passed away.