Okay so it's been two months since my last post. Things have been a bit crazy around here (hence the theme). There's been lots of illness, another power outage, and then more illness. This has been a tough season for the girls but I just keep trying to remind myself that things could be worse. They keep getting the annoying kid things that go around. First it was the pukes, which I did get but my husband managed to avoid. Then there was a bout of RSV which is always a joy (and don't I know it since it's the third time I've dealt with it). Then the ice storm hit and the power was out for five days which meant we slept on my sister's floor for a couple days (thank goodness for her generosity) which never bodes well for little ones' sleep habits. Just when I think we are finding some normalcy they get colds. I'm not done yet. Now we are battling Hand Food and Mouth Disease (at least one of them is so far). Ugh! Will it ever end? Thankfully they have maintained a mostly cheerful and always strong-willed personality through it all that somehow makes it all seem worth it, even if I am sleep deprived.
The reasons for my recent hiatus from blogging made me realize why I hadn't started this sooner. I was too damned tired!!! Honestly, I wanted to start a blog a long time ago because our oldest found sleep optional most of the time. I spent countless hours researching and reading all the advice on getting one's child to sleep "properly." Coming from a long line of 10-hour a night sound sleepers made this a bit of a fight for me. My husband, on the other hand, had no problem with it since this seems to be his gene contribution and not mine. Spending three years of my life without sleep wasn't something I ever considered when longing for and then finally having children. Again I try to remind myself that things could be worse. This really only works after I've had a sufficient "freak out" about something really stupid, like dropping my keys on the floor. Once I do that and realize what lesson I've just passed along to my kids then I take some deep breathes and plaster a smile on my face and hope the girls think it was all a big joke. I know I'm going to be very sorry when one or both of the girls start freaking out over something like a shoe coming untied. Uh, this would be my contribution to the gene pool. But I am working on it and here's a good example. The other day while I was preparing dinner, the girls found the huge garbage bag of freshly shredded documents I had in my office. They promptly starting throwing them in the air and said, "it's raining!" What fun for them! I didn't freak out, I hung my head and sobbed, but at least I didn't freak out.
All that said, I'm back at it and ready to continue our crazy ride whether that involves a move to Colorado or just making it back to bed in hopes of getting one solid hour of sleep. Sweet dreams!

No comments:
Post a Comment