Thursday, April 16, 2009

Counting the Minutes

I've been a mother for 1,242 days or three years, four months and 26 days. I've been a mother of two for 589 days or one year, seven months and 11 days. I have been away from them for one night from the hours of 10 pm until 6 am (because I was so sleep deprived that I went to my mother's house (see last post) to sleep for a few hours). Tomorrow morning before they wake up I'll be on a plane to see a friend in Austin. Two things come to mind immediately—WOOOOHOOO and OH MY GOD! In case you are wondering, I will be away for 4,630 minutes or three days, five hours and 10 minutes.

To say I am a bit of an emotional wreck about this is an understatement. Any of you who have children this age know that you cannot tell your kids about something until it is nearly upon them. They just don't have a concept of time. So this morning at breakfast, I coughed through the quiver in my voice as I said told them that when they wake up tomorrow I would not be present. Thankfully, my (wonderfully emotional and dramatic) three year told me that she would be very sad. I never thought I would be so glad to hear that. I should also note that I am in no way concerned about their well-being. Their father is more than capable of taking care of them. Sure he may not do things the way I do or the way I'd like him to all the time, but he is no slouch in the parent department. All this concern has to do with me. I'm the one who will be sipping margaritas at some wonderful restaurant (that's where the WOOOOHOOO part comes in) with my friend while finding any way possible to talk (more) about my kids. Sorry in advance, Sarah.

My mother has assured me that not only will everyone be fine (including me) but that this will likely make me a better mother (as if!) and my kids and my husband will appreciate me that much more. Those are all things I look forward to enjoying after a long 4,630 minutes have passed.

No comments: